Family lawyer

Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens Family Lawyer

If you need a Nassau County Family Law Attorney, call Ezdrin & Woods for a consultation. We can help.

Family Law encompasses many different kinds of problems, some which require immediate attention. At Ezdrin & Woods, we can assist you with:

  • Separation Agreements
  • Divorce
  • Divorce Mediation
  • Child Support
  • Spousal Support/Maintenance
  • Custody and Visitation Issues
  • Emergency Child Removal
  • Orders of Protection
  • Pre-Nuptial Agreements

If you have a family matter and need a Nassau County Family Lawyer, please contact Ezdrin & Woods, P.C. We can schedule a free consultation and inform you of your rights or the rights of your children.

nassau county divorce lawyer

Divorce lawyer

Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens Divorce Lawyer

Matrimonial Law

Going through a contested divorce is never easy. In fact, it can be one of the most trying and difficult times in your life. What will happen to the house? Who will have custody of the children? How often will I be able to see my kids? How will I be able to support my family?

These are not easy questions, and sometimes the answers can be hard to accept or even understand. If you are faced with a contested divorce, you must know your legal rights as well as your legal obligations.

Choosing a Nassau County Divorce Attorney

If you live in Nassau County, it would make sense to retain a divorce lawyer that is familiar with the courts, judges, procedures, and opposing attorneys within those counties. But experience should only be one factor to consider when you are choosing a matrimonial attorney.

Your lawyer should be compassionate, understanding, available, and should always find the time to answer your questions. He or she should always act professional and be respectful at all times. Your attorney should be tempered, courteous, and should always have your best interests in mind.

If you are seeking a divorce, or if your spouse is suing you for divorce, we encourage you to contact Ezdrin & Woods and schedule a consultation. We won’t rush you out the door and we’ll take time to address your concerns and questions. If after meeting with one of our attorneys, you don’t feel comfortable with our firm, we would encourage you to keep looking for a divorce attorney that you do make a connection with. Your attorney will be protecting your rights and will be helping you chart your future. It is important that you have confidence in your attorney and that you know that you are their number one concern.

Contested v. Uncontested Divorces

A contested divorce can occur when one spouse wants to end the marriage but the other spouse does not. Contested divorces can also occur when the spouses disagree over maintenance, marital property, assets, pensions, custody, etc.

An uncontested divorce usually involves situations where both spouses agree that the marriage should end AND there is a substantial agreement as to custody and how the marital assets should be divided. These types of divorces are better suited for what’s called “divorce mediation.” If you find yourself in this situation, we suggest you review the divorce mediation heading found on our home page in order to educate yourself in regards to the substantial benefits mediation can bring.

However, if you believe that your divorce will be difficult, be confident that Ezdrin & Woods will aggressively represent you in regards to your contested divorce. We will work diligently so that you may obtain the best possible results under the law. Give us a call and schedule a free consultation in our office in Nassau County.

nassau county child support/child custody lawyer


Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens
Child Support/Child Custody Attorney

What Can I Do If My Child Needs Support?

If you live in Nassau County, your child needs support, and the non-custodial parent refuses to provide assistance, you should contact a Nassau County Child Support Attorney immediately. At Ezdrin & Woods, we will provide you a free consultation and inform you of your rights as well as the rights of your child.

Generally, in Nassau County, child support issues are commenced in Nassau County Family Court.

Before you go to Court, we encourage you to call the attorneys at Ezdrin & Woods so that we can assist you in obtaining everything your child is entitled to receive.

What If My Circumstances Have Changed and I Can’t Afford to Pay Child Support?

Remember, the Court has little to no interest in either of the child’s parents. It’s a cold but realistic fact. In Nassau County Family Court, the judges are usually focused on what’s best for your child. Most decisions made in Family Court consider the child’s interests above all others.

With that being said, sometimes there is a “substantial change in circumstances” requiring a reduction in the amount of support being paid. If you find you are unable to meet your current child support obligations, you should contact a child support attorney immediately.

At Ezdrin & Woods, we can help you with your current situation and guide you through the process required to obtain a reduction in child support. Make no mistake about it, both Nassau County Family Courts do not take such modifications lightly. However, if you meet the legal criteria, our firm will aggressively petition the Court in order to have your child support obligations properly reflect your current financial situation.

What If My Children Need More Child Support Than They Are Currently Receiving?

Sometimes, more support is necessary in order to meet the needs of the children. This is known as an “upwards modification." Under certain circumstances (including, but not limited to: increased needs of children due to special circumstances, additional activities of growing children, increased cost of living, loss of income by residential parent, etc.) Family Court can be petitioned for an increase in support.

If you find yourself in this situation, you should contact a Nassau County child support attorney in order to learn your rights and the rights of your children. Call the attorneys at Ezdrin & Woods for a free consultation.

Changes in Custody/ Visitation

Unfortunately, there are times when a change of physical custody becomes necessary. This could be due to many reasons, including substance abuse of the custodial parent, neglect, unsafe living conditions, abuse, or because the child’s basic needs are not being met.

If you feel that a change of physical custody is warranted, you can petition the Nassau County Family Court in order to act in the best interests of your children. The child custody attorneys at Ezdrin & Woods can help you with the petition and will aggressively represent you in court on the day of your hearing.

What if my spouse won't let me see my child?

If you are a non-custodial parent (the child does not live with you) you do have rights. You should protect those rights both for your sake, and the sake of your son or daughter. Further, your child has rights including the right to have a relationship with both parents. Should the custodial parent deny you access to your child, you can petition Nassau County Family Court in order to obtain proper visitation with your son or daughter.

If you have a visitation schedule in place, but the custodial parent is interfering with that schedule, or if wish to have an existing schedule modified, you should contact a Nassau County child visitation attorney. At Ezdrin & Woods, we can help you file the necessary petition and will aggressively represent you at your hearing.

Finding the right child custody or child visitation attorney can be difficult. Call the offices of Ezdrin & Woods and schedule your consultation. We are confident we can help you with your current situation.

nassau county divorce mediation

Divorce Mediation 

Nassau County, Suffolk County, Queens Divorce Mediation

Sometimes marriages just don’t work. There may be no ill will towards either party, just a mutual realization that neither is happy and both wish to move on.

If you and your spouse find yourselves in this situation, we urge that you consider divorce mediation. Divorce mediation in Nassau County is usually the least controversial and therefore, the least expensive way to obtain a divorce. It is a relatively easy process that avoids many of the emotional entanglements that a full-fledged contested divorce may bring.

Is Divorce Mediation Right for You?

At Ezdrin & Woods, we offer divorce mediation services for residents of Nassau County. If you have arrived at the regrettable conclusion that your marriage is over, you should consider divorce mediation before either yourself or your spouse retains an attorney.

Divorce mediation might be the right choice for you if:

  • Your divorce is uncontested and you both can reasonably agree or believe you can reasonably come to some agreement regarding child custody, division of property/assets, maintenance, and child support

  • There are no children involved (or if there is custody/visitation is not going to be an issue) AND the marital assets/property are limited (for example: there is a house, two cars, a pension, and maybe some stocks or bonds)

  • Both spouses agree on how to resolve MOST of the issues involved with the divorce but need some guidance in resolving ALL of the disagreements

  • You both just want to be “done with it” and both spouses are just ready to move on.

If you believe that your situation resembles any of the above examples, call Ezdrin & Woods and schedule a consultation. We can help you mediate your divorce, save a lot of money in legal fees, and file all the requisite paper required by the court

Remember, divorce mediation is exactly that; a mediation. Both parties do not have to agree on everything prior to engaging mediation services. The mediator will explain the law to both spouses and provide guidance as to what is fair and equitable in regards to your dispute. The mediator will also help you resolve your disagreements without the expense of court intervention. For this reason, divorce mediation in Nassau County may be the best option depending on your circumstances.